Rasnick’s clutch play seals Bears’ 2OT win over Patriots

Kevin Mays • Jan 5, 2020 at 1:26 AM

BIG STONE GAP — Union’s Alex Rasnick scored a lot of points in Saturday’s 102-100 double-overtime boys basketball win over Sullivan East in the finale of the FCA Classic.

But his biggest play of the game came on the defensive side of the ball.

With the Bears leading 100-97, Rasnick got up on Sullivan East’s Ethan Bradford and prevented Bradford from hitting a tying 3-point shot.

Three seconds after Bradford — who nailed seven treys in the game — missed the mark, Noah Jordan sank two free throws to put the Bears up 102-97.

East’s Dylan Bartley, who finished with a game-high 41 points and five 3-pointers, hit his final 3 with two seconds left. Union then let the clock run out to preserve the win.

Rasnick, who scored 37 points, made big plays throughout the game. Prior to his clutch defensive stop, he nailed a 3-point shot from a step behind the halfcourt line as time expired in regulation to send the game to its first overtime.

Union got 30 points from Sean Cusano and 16 from Noah Jordan.

The Bears’ points total broke the school single-game record and marked the first time in the program’s nine-year history Union eclipsed the 100-point mark.

The Patriots (9-8) got 21 points from Bradford and 16 from Brayden Standbridge.


Sullivan South coach Michael McMeans went into Saturday’s game looking for a different attitude from his team.

He got it.

The Rebels (14-2) bounced back from a disappointing loss to David Crockett on Friday night with a dominating win Saturday afternoon.

“We didn’t play the way we wanted to (Friday). The effort wasn’t there at all,” McMeans said. “Tonight was a good night and I’m proud of them because one through 15 everybody was ready to play tonight and they refocused themselves to come back in here. And from the beginning it was a good effort from the starting five.

“It could have been easy to come over here and have a real big letdown and kind of go through the emotions tonight. I was just proud of them. They put their foot on the gas and went forward with it and kind of closed it out from early on.”

Cole Layne put up a game-high 22 points and Ben Diamond added 20 to lead the 13 South players who scored.

The Rebels wasted no time in setting the tone. They scored the first 16 points of the game and led 21-7 by the end of the opening quarter.

The lead remained in double figures over the final three.

Reed Samuel finished with 14 points as the only player in double figures for John Battle.



Ridgeview (7-2) jumped out to a 14-2 lead and never looked back in winning the day’s opening game.

After trailing 27-19 at halftime, South (6-9) cut the Wolfpack lead to 29-25 with 6:04 left in the third quarter. But Ridgeview closed out the period with a 19-3 run to put the game out of reach.

Cassidy Thomas led Ridgeview with 17 points and Hailey Sutherland added 16. Alex Harris scored 13 to lead South.


Jayda Smith led a trio of Union players in double-figure scoring in the win by the Lady Bears (7-3). Smith finished with 18 points, Emili Brooks added 16 and Abby Slagle had 13.

Sullivan East (9-8) got 14 points from Morgan Bringman.

Union built a 16-6 advantage in the first quarter and never trailed.