Kingsport Police Blotter: Chase begins downtown, ends in Lynn Garden

Matthew Lane • Feb 2, 2020 at 9:00 PM

KINGSPORT — A city woman allegedly led police on a high-speed chase through downtown before getting her vehicle stuck in the yard of a Lynn Garden residence on Monday afternoon.

According to an incident report with the Kingsport Police Department, an officer responded to the 500 block of Watauga Street shortly after 4 p.m. in reference to a white Jeep Grand Cherokee striking a utility pole across the street from Carter-Trent Funeral Home.

A woman who heard the crash came outside and saw a vehicle with heavy front end damage do a donut in the parking lot across the street, jump a curb onto Charlemont Street and drive off toward Sullivan Street.

An officer spotted the vehicle and attempted a traffic stop. However, the SUV sped off toward Lynn Garden Drive reaching a speed of nearly 60 miles an hour, the report states. The officer broke off pursuit near the Dairy Queen.

Soon after, a person flagged down an officer, saying the SUV had fled up Mull Street, closely passing three children who were walking up the hill. Police located the Jeep at the dead end at Emmet Street. As the officer was exiting his cruiser, the driver of the Jeep reportedly sped toward him, struck a mailbox and finally spun out and became stuck in a yard.

Police charged the driver of the SUV — Kayla Powell, 23 — with numerous offenses, including evading arrest, felony reckless endangerment, possession of drugs and drug paraphernalia, vandalism, leaving the scene of an accident, driving on a suspended license, speeding and failure to exercise due care.

Her purse was reportedly found to contain four syringes, a glass pipe and some pills suspected to be Gabapentin and Metoprolol. Gabapentin is used with other medications to prevent and control seizures, while Metoprolol is used to treat chest pains and high blood pressure.


Police responded to Miller Village Apartments Wednesday afternoon in reference to a dog theft. The owner of the dog — a 30-year-old woman — told police that on the afternoon of Jan.17 her dog was injured in the throat while playing with a stick in the yard at the apartment complex.

The dog was described as a female black and brown chihuahua/weenie/blue heeler mix. According to the report, the woman gave the dog to her 24-year-old friend to take to the vet and return to her by Jan. 25.

However, the friend never returned the dog and has provided multiple excuses about why she won’t bring the dog home. The owner said she does not know her friend’s current address or her telephone number.


Shortly after 3 a.m. on Thursday, Kingsport Police found a 56-year-old man had barricaded himself inside a shed behind a Dorothy Street residence. The man’s face and hands were covered in blood, apparently from punching and head-butting the interior walls of the structure. According to an incident report, the man said “people were coming for him.”

The couple who live in the house told police the man had been living in the shed for some time, that he had been using meth and was acting crazy. Thus, they wanted him to leave, the report states.

Police attempted to talk to the man, who in response threw a large piece of wood at an officer. He failed to respond to verbal commands and was becoming increasingly agitated, so police shot him with a pepperball gun.

Officers then entered the shed, dragged the man out by his shirt and subdued him. He was transported to a local hospital for treatment.


Police interviewed a 54-year-old woman Tuesday morning who claimed a man had swindled her out of $140.

The woman told officers she met a man at a local Dollar General store on Jan. 3 to purchase an iPhone XR. According to the report, the man said he worked for Metro PCS and could get the phone for $140 with his employee discount.

After taking the $140 in cash, the man said he would order the phone and make contact with her once it was delivered. Eventually, the woman went to the Metro PCS store and was told the man no longer worked there.

She did reach him by phone and he said he would repay her in $20 installments every pay period. So far, no payments have been made.

Kingsport Times News Videos