no avatar

Boone outlasts Crockett in OT to reach semifinals

Jeff Birchfield • Oct 15, 2019 at 1:12 AM

GRAY — Tessa Arney scored her second goal in the first overtime period and Daniel Boone held on for a 2-1 win over rival David Crockett in the opening round of the District 1-AAA girls soccer tournament Monday night at Nathan Hale Stadium.

The match offered a much tougher than expected test for the Lady ’Blazers, who had scored 11 goals against the Lady Pioneers in two previous meetings. This time, Boone (9-7) could take nothing for granted and the match was in doubt until the final whistle.

Arney scored in the 25th minute off an assist from Shyra Phan to give Boone a 1-0 lead, but Crockett (3-10-1) came back with the tying goal. Arney missed a couple of good scoring opportunities in the 69th when her boot hit the crossbar and in the 71st when Crockett goalkeeper Alyssa Suits made a diving save.

A perfectly placed cross from Kaylee Cleaver to Arney in the sixth minute of the first overtime period ultimately decided the match.

“I was so happy to get my team to go to the championship part of the tournament,” Arney said. “They were tough. They doubled up on the defense and they started to come back on offense as well.”

After the previous blowouts, Boone coach Steve Sessis admitted the Lady ’Blazers weren’t prepared for such a furious battle. Crockett outshot Boone 8-6 in the first half and battled throughout for time of possession.

“We expected to have an easier time of it, but Crockett played lights out and gave everything they could,” Sessis said. “We didn’t take advantage of the opportunities until the cross by Kaylee Cleaver with six minutes left in the first overtime. Tess put it in for us, and thank God that she did.”

The Lady Pioneers’ season came to an end, but there were more smiles than tears after the hard-fought effort. Emily Whitson scored the tying goal in the 36th minute off an assist from Lauren Myers and the score remained knotted until overtime.

“There is nothing more I can ask for. The girls gave 100 percent all game long,” Crockett coach Chris Kudera said. “We have to finish the chances when we get 1-v-1 versus the keeper. That’s part of the game.

“It was much better than the first two times we played them. Those times, we dominated possession at the start of the game and then they would score and we never could recover from that.

“I’m proud of the girls with how they responded when they got down and when they got down the second time,” Kudera added.

Madeline Runnels finished with a match-best nine shots for Boone. Arney had four and Phan had three.

Whitson had five shots for Crockett, Myers took three and Londyn Horton had two. Suits finished with six saves.

Crockett took an aggressive approach much of the match and Boone goalkeeper Riley Adkins ended with seven saves. She made a diving attempt to deny the Lady Pioneers a tying goal in the second overtime and Whitson had another shot that went over the crossbar.

The finish left Boone with less than 24 hours until a Tuesday semifinal matchup with top-seeded Science Hill at Tipton Stadium.