• PITCHING LESSONS, for individuals and teams ages 9-14, are being offered by David Hoover, former pitching coach at Dobyns-Bennett and Daniel Boone. Call (423) 578-3427 for details.
• TRIBE BASEBALL 8-under team for the 2019 season will have tryouts at 10 a.m. on Saturday, July 14 and at 1:30 p.m. on Sunday, July 15 at the Dobyns-Bennett softball field. Anyone born after May 1, 2010, is eligible to try out. If interested, contact Lance Sawyer at (423) 367-8888, Kelly Morton at (423) 306-9665 or Lucas Henderson at (423) 963-0828.
• COLONIAL HEIGHTS REBELS 9-under local travel baseball team is hosting private tryouts for the upcoming fall/spring seasons. There also will be an open tryout starting at 2 p.m. on Saturday, July 28 at the Rebels Complex. All games will be in the Tri-Cities area. For more information, contact Justin Crawford at (423) 765-3782.
• VELOCITY BASEBALL USSSA 11-under team is hosting private tryouts. Contact Coach Jay at (423) 833-1304, email email@example.com or go online at velocitybaseballofjc.teamapp.com for more information.
• GEORGE PITTS BASKETBALL Position Camp will be held July 16-19, from 9 a.m.-3 p.m., at King University. Fee is $95. Call (423) 652-4781 or visit tornadobasketballcamps.com.
• LINCOLN MEMORIAL men’s basketball individual skills camp is set for July 30-Aug. 2 at Tex Turner Arena. Preregistration fee is $85 and day-of-camp fee is $100. For more information, contact Railsplitters assistant coach Jeremiah Samarrippas at firstname.lastname@example.org.
• ETSU WOMEN’S BASKETBALL and coach Brittney Ezell will hold a Buccaneer Experience Camp for high schoolers on Aug. 4-5 inside Brooks Gym in Johnson City. The Wednesday, Aug. 4 camp is for rising juniors and seniors, and the Thursday, Aug. 5 camp is for rising freshmen and sophomores. Cost is 50. To register, go online at BrittneyEzellBasketball.com. For more information, call the ETSU women’s basketball offices at (423) 439--5330 or email BrittneyEzellBasketball@gmail.com.
• CARSON-NEWMAN’S shooting camp will be held from noon-3 p.m. on Aug. 6-10; fee is $75. To learn more, call Eagles assistant coach Shane Williams at (423) 943-3037 or email email@example.com.
• LINCOLN MEMORIAL Men’s Basketball Elite Camps will be held Aug. 19. Fee per attendee is $75. For more information, contact Railsplitters assistant coach Jeremiah Samarrippas at firstname.lastname@example.org.
• COLONIAL HEIGHTS ATHLETIC COMMISSION is registering for youth basketball, age divisions 4-6, 7-8, 9-10 and 11-13. Deadline to sign up is Nov. 11. Go online at chacsports.leagueapps.com.
• CARSON-NEWMAN cheer coach Christy Bowlin will conduct a cheer camp for third- through ninth-graders on July 20-22 on the Jefferson City campus. Cost of the three-day, two-night camp is $205 per camper/coach for overnight campers and $175 for commuters. To register or learn more, call Bowlin at (423) 416-2395 or email email@example.com.
• CARSON-NEWMAN ONE-DAY Technique Camp will be held July 14 on the Jefferson City campus. Cost is $35 to preregister or $40 for day-of walk-ups. For more information, go online at cneagles.com and click the Football tab.
• CHURCH HILL-MOUNT CARMEL-Surgoinsville Recreation Department will conduct registration for youth football in July. Age brackets are 6-8 and 9-12; fee is $40 per player. The child must turn 6 before Sept. 30, 2018, but may not turn 13 before that date or be in the seventh grade to be eligible to play. Register your child Monday through Friday, from 8 a.m.-5 p.m., at Church Hill City Hall or online at churchhilltn.gov. Call (423) 357-7010 with further questions.
• BOYS AND GIRLS CLUB of Greater Kingsport is conducting signups through Aug. 10 for the Sullivan County Football League Indians football and cheer teams. Sign up Monday-Friday, from 8 a.m.-5:30 p.m., at the Eastman Center behind Pratt’s BBQ on Stone Drive in Kingsport. Cost is $25 for members and $35 for non-members. A child who attends any Kingsport city school is eligible to play. Divisions are flag (ages 5-7), junior varsity (ages 8-9) and varsity (ages 10-12). The Indians play all home games at J. Fred Johnson Stadium. For more information, contact Travis Herron at (423) 429-3642.
• COLONIAL HEIGHTS FLAG FOOTBALL evaluations, for boys and girls ages 3-17, will be held at 9 a.m. on Saturday, Aug. 11 at South View Community Park, 401 Rock Springs Road, Kingsport. Entry fee is $60. For more information or to register, go online at chacsports.leagueapps.com or contact Chad Rutherford at (423) 416-0775.
• JUNIOR GOLF TOURNAMENT SERIES event, for boys and girls ages 14-17 and 13-under, will be held Saturday, July 7 at Warriors Path in Kingsport. Entry fee is $20 and the winners qualify for the series’ Tournament Championship. Call (423) 323-4990 to enter.
• 87TH LONESOME PINE MEN’S INVITATIONAL will be held Saturday-Sunday, July 21-22 in Big Stone Gap. Part of the Tri-Cities Amateur Tour, the entry fee for the event is $135 for non-members and $105 for members. Call (276) 523-0739 to enter.
• SECOND DOBYNS-BENNETT BASEBALL Golf Challenge will be held Saturday, Aug. 11 at Crockett Ridge Golf Course, 4439 L Jack Drive, Kingsport. There will be a 9 a.m. shotgun start for the four-man, select-shot event. Entry fee is $75 per player or $300 per team; lunch will be provided by Texas Roadhouse. For more information or to register, contact Jennifer McDavid at (423) 956-0445 or firstname.lastname@example.org or D-B coach Ryan Wagner at (423) 384-0985 or email@example.com.
• NIGHT HIKE at Warriors Path State Park starts at 9 p.m. on Tuesday, July 3. Bring a flashlight, drive to the camp store and carpool to the trail.
• SINKING WATERS RIDGE HIKE, on the first loop of the Sinking Waters Trail at Warriors Path State Park, begins at 9:30 a.m. on Thursday, July 5. Drive to the camp store and carpool to the start of the trail.
• NIGHT HIKE TO SINKING WATERS at Warriors Path State Park starts at 9 p.m. on Tuesday, July 10. Bring a dim flashlight, drive to the camp store and carpool to the trail.
• HIKE THE BONEYARD at Warriors Path State Park on starting at 9 a.m. on Wednesday, July 11. Wear comfortable clothes and good hiking shoes and bring some drinking water for this challenging 2- to 3-mile hike. Drive to the camp store and carpool to the trail.
• DEVIL’S BACKBONE HIKE at Warriors Path State Park is Thursday, July 12, starting at 9:30 a.m. Drive to the camp store and carpool to the start of this invigorating hike.
• SUNSET HIKE at Warriors Path State Park starts at 8:30 p.m. on Friday, July 13. This is a short but rather steep hike. Drive to the camp store and carpool to the trail. Bring a flashlight for the walk back down.
• HIKE THE “DARWIN’S REVENGE” Trail at Warriors Path State Park on Saturday, July 14. Wear good walking shoes and comfortable clothes and bring some drinking water for this hours-long hike. Meet at the camp store and carpool to the trail.
• TRAILBLAZER CROSS COUNTRY Camp, sponsored by Ron Mathews State Farm Insurance, will be held July 16-17 and 19-20, from 6-8 p.m., at the Daniel Boone High School track in Gray. Check-in daily is at 5:30 p.m. Cost is $40 per athlete (or $35 if registering from same family). For more information, call camp coordinator Scott Huff at (423) 676-2248 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
• SLIPSTREAM TRACK & FIELD CLUB is entering its 26th summer season. Open to all athletes ages 7-18 from Northeast Tennessee and Southwest Virginia, practices are held on Tuesdays and Thursdays at Daniel Boone and on Mondays at Greeneville. Practices start at 6:30 p.m. For more information, go online at slipstreamtrackclub.com or contact club director Brian Buckner at (423) 742-5004.
• WOLF RUN, part of the Skelton Law Racing Series and a Kingsport Fun Fest event, will take place Tuesday, July 17, starting at 6:30 p.m., at Bays Mountain Park in Kingsport. Contact race director Mark Skelton at (423) 272-4812 or go online at RunTriCities.org.
• APPALACHIA RAILROAD DAYS 5K, 3-mile power walk and 1-mile fun walk will be held Saturday, Aug. 4 in Appalachia. Preregistration for the 5K is $14; day-of-race fee is $15. Preregistration for the walk events is $10; day-of-race fee is $11. For more information, contact Randy Blair at (276) 393-9577.
• FIT4LIFE GLOW RUN 5K — featuring an ’80s theme — will be held Friday, Aug. 10 at The Wellness Center in Johnson City. Go online at thegoosechase.org/5k-glow-run for more information.
• BAYS MOUNTAIN TRAIL RACE, a 15-miler and part of the Skelton Law Racing Series, will take place Saturday, Sept. 15, starting at 8 a.m., at Bays Mountain Park in Kingsport. Contact race director Mark Skelton at (423) 272-4812 or go online at RunTriCities.org.
• BLUEGRASS HALF MARATHON, presented by The Goose Chase, will be held on Sunday, Sept. 30 at Founders Park in Johnson City. The Kid’s Race begins at 5:30 p.m. on Friday, Sept. 28. For more information, go online at thegoosechase.org/bluegrass-half-marathon-relays.
• TUSCULUM JOY OF SOCCER CAMP, a co-ed/individual/high school age ID camp for players ages 7-17, will be held July 15-19. For more information, contact women’s coach Mike Joy at (423) 636-7321 or email@example.com.
• ETSU RESIDENTIAL SOCCER CAMP, geared toward serious players ages 12 and older, will be held July 18-21 at Summers-Taylor Stadium. Check-in on July 18 is from 11 a.m.-1 p.m.; session times TBA. The fees are $375 for a commuting camper and $475 for a residential camper. Contact Josh Scott at (423)-439-8437 or firstname.lastname@example.org, or visit bucssocceracademy.com.
• CHURCH HILL-MOUNT CARMEL-Surgoinsville Recreation Department will conduct registration for youth outdoor soccer in July. Age brackets are 7-9 and 10-13; fee is $20 per player. The child must turn 7 before Sept. 30, 2018, but may not turn 14 before that date to be eligible to play. Register your child Monday through Friday, from 8 a.m.-5 p.m., at Church Hill City Hall or online at churchhilltn.gov. Call (423) 357-7010 with further questions.
• JOHNSON CITY PARKS and Recreation began registering for its girls travel softball league on July 2. Teams for ages 8-under, 10-under and 12-under will play an eight-game schedule starting Monday, Aug. 13; sites are Metro-Kiwanis Park and Carnegie Park. Cost is $200 per team plus $5 for each non-city resident. Register at the Winged Deer Park Athletic Office, 4137 Bristol Highway, by Friday, Aug. 3. Call (423) 283-5822.
• FUN FEST ONE-PITCH SOFTBALL tournament, hosted by Kingsport Parks & Recreation and sponsored by Action Athletics, will be held in July. Divisions are men’s open competitive (July 14-15; July 13 if necessary), men’s open recreational (July 14-15; July 13 if necessary), women’s open (July 14-15; July 13 if necessary) and co-ed (July 17-18 at Brickyard Park). Fee is $100 per team; deadline to register is 5 p.m. on Wednesday, July 11. Register Monday through Friday, from 8:30 a.m.-5:30 p.m., at the Civic Auditorium, 1550 Fort Henry Drive, Kingsport. Contact Matthew Elkins at (423) 229-9458 or email@example.com with questions.
• FUTURE STARS OF SPORTS Fastpitch World Series will be held July 19-22 at Winged Deer Park in Johnson City, White Top Creek Park in Bristol, Tenn., Grandview Elementary in Telford and Ridgeview Elementary in Johnson City. The event features pool play and a double-elimination bracket with a five-game guarantee. Entry fee is $475 per team. Call Ron Ray at (502) 841-0103.
• LONESOME PINE COUNTRY CLUB in Big Stone Gap will conduct children’s swimming lessons July 10-12, from 10-11:30 a.m., at the club pool. Open to the public, the cost is $25 per child for LPCC members and $35 per child for non-members. Call the pro shop at (276) 523-0739.
• 45th VIRGINIA-WISE Tennis Tournament, sponsored by Impressions Inc., will be held Friday through Sunday, July 27-29, at the Jim and Betty Humphreys Tennis Complex. The event will feature singles and doubles events for both junior and adult divisions. Entry fee is $12 per person per event (limit of two events per person) with all proceeds benefiting the Virginia-Wise tennis program. All players should bring an unopened can of balls per match and USTA rules apply. The deadline to register is 5 p.m. on Wednesday, July 25, at 5 p.m. Go online at uvawisecavs.com for more information and registration forms, or contact tournament director Danny Rowland at (276) 328-1100, (276) 870-8744 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
• FUN FEST VOLLEYBALL TOURNAMENT, hosted by Kingsport Parks & Recreation and sponsored by Action Athletics, will be held July 14-15 at Eastman Park at Horse Creek Park. Divisions are men’s doubles (fee $30 per team), women’s triples (fee $45 per team), co-ed (fee $30 per team) and quads (fee $60 per team); deadline to register is 4 p.m. on Friday, July 13. Register Monday through Friday, from 8:30 a.m.-5:30 p.m., at the Civic Auditorium, 1550 Fort Henry Drive, Kingsport. Contact Jason Wilburn at (423) 229-9459 or email@example.com with questions.
• ROCK, ROW & RUN KIDS AQUATHLON, for ages 6-12, is set for 9 a.m. on Saturday, Aug. 18 at Legion Street Pool, 111 Legion St., Johnson City. Participants will row a kayak (which will be furnished) across Legion Street Pool, run the distance and then join the party. Cost is $25 per person through Aug. 10 and $35 afterward. Register online at myjcparks.org or at Memorial Park Community Center, 510 Bert St., Johnson City. For more information, call (423) 434-5749.